Fine Wine Course – London, Winter 2020. Evening 3 Claret – Red Bordeaux
12th February 2020 @ 6:45 pm - 8:45 pm
THESE WERE THE WINES FOR THE 2019 COURSE.
Those for 2020 will be of a similar range and quality, and will be fully detailed shortly.
In addition to the ‘Aspects of Tasting’ (see below) the wines are chosen to illustrate the regions’ key differences of style and quality.
RED BORDEAUX – CLARET
- 2007 La Tour Figeac; St Emilion
- 2004 Ch. Canon La Gaffelière; St Emilion
- 2001 Ch. Clinet; Pomerol (100% Merlot)
- 2005 Ch. Belgrave; 5th Growth, Haut Médoc
- 2001 Ch. Haut Bailly; Cru Classé, Graves
- 1996 Léoville Barton; 2nd Growth, St Julien
8 Wines, ranging in price from around £20 – £150 retail, with a selection of canapes.
The wines will illustrate the following aspects of tasting:
Tasting: Detailed anatomy of notemaking; tannin and texture.
- Tasting Techinique – Anatomy of notemaking
- Cabernet Suvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot
- Bordeaux: Right Bank (Merlot +) v Left Bank (Cabernet +)
- The vocabulary of tannin, and texture
- Blind Tasting: comparing Style and Quality
- ‘extreme’ winemaking, winemaker as ‘interpreter’
- Bordeaux across the ages