Michael's Beginners Course
This course is based on the 9 tastings detailed in the last section of my book: Essential Winetasting . It is an introduction to basic tasting technique, covering the world’s major grape varieties and their varying styles from the principal wine producing countries.
Duration: 1 evening a week for 6 weeks.
7 benchmark wines each evening.
Time: 6.45-8.45pm (Evgs 1 & 2 last a little longer).
Location: 19-21 Hatton Garden , London EC1N 8BA
Price: £359 Inc Vat
Next Course Dates:
Mondays: January 30; February 6, 13, 20, 27; March 6. 2017
[Tuesdays: June 6, 13, 20, 27; July 4, 11. 2017. NB These dates
are provisional. I will run the course if there is sufficient demand.
I would book this course, if it is your first choice. I will confirm
availability, and ask for a £59, returnable, deposit; but I will only
ask for the balance once I know it is definitetly going ahead. In the
meantime put the Sept / Oct dates in your diary as well, as a fallback
Tuesdays: September 19, 26; October 3, 10, 17, 24. 2017
Complete Synopsis: See end of this page.
BEGINNERS COURSE CORE CONTENT
- Benchmark quality wines to taste.
- A thorough grounding in tasting, in how to ‘see what there is to see'.
- Perceiving quality differences, describing style differences.
- Enabling you to make sense of what you taste in terms of description, quality, style, typicity, preference, value for money, drinking context.
- 41 wines are tasted ranging, approximately, from £5 to £45 a bottle.
BY THE END OF SIX WEEKS YOU WILL HAVE
- Tasted the majority of different wine types.
- A system which helps you compare, describe and remember wines.
- A means of enabling you to perceive and discuss their quality.
- The ability to see more ‘patterns’ in wine, & make more sense of its great variety.
- A better developed combination of personal taste and objective judgement.
WINES FROM EUROPE
France: Loire (Muscadet, Sancerre,) Alsace; Burgundy (red, white); Beaujolais; Bordeaux; Champagne; Rhône.
Italy: Tuscany; Piedmont.
Spain: Rioja; Sherry.
Portugal: Port, Madeira.
WINES FROM THE NEW WORLD
Australia, New Zealand, California, Chile, South Africa
MAJOR GRAPE VARIETIES TASTED
White: Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Furmint, Muscat
Red: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Nebbiolo, Syrah/Shiraz
MAJOR WINE STYLES TASTED
White, Red; Dry, Sweet; Sparkling, Fortified